home about us recipes contact us legal our store

Friday, November 21, 2014

The Best Red Lentil Soup Ever

Its that time of year, that nothing tastes as good or as filling than a good bowl of soup.  I love this soup and I have made many lentil soups but I always go back to this recipe.  Yes, it is that good, so good that I have made so many variations.  I also have memorized the original recipe.  Most of the ingredients you should have on hand.  Every time I have company over for lunch, they get a bowl of this nutritional and yummy soup!
    I cup Red Lentils
    I tbsp Vegetable Oil
I Onion- chopped
2 Cloves garlic- finely chopped
3 carrots chopped
3 stalks celery
I tsp cumin or curry powder
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Dash of hot pepper sauce - optional

Directions

1. Place lentils in a sieve and rinse.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions and cook gently until tender and fragrant. Add garlic, cumin, celery and carrots and cook until fragrant- about a minute or two.
3. Add rinsed lentils to stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce head and simmer gently 30 to 35 minutes or until lentils are very tender and mixture is thick. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
4. If soup is too thick, add stock or water. Adjust seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 6
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 82.8
  • Total Fat: 2.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 637.3 mg
  • Total Carbs: 11.9 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
  • Protein: 3.4 g

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios